And Everywhere that Alysia Went…
Remember that lamb I told you about a few weeks ago? Well, there’s plenty more lamb to be cooked!
First, I had some lamb steaks. If you’ve been reading this blog long enough…you know that I don’t know how to cook a steak. Woops. Bad food blogger.
This time around, I didn’t have anyone to cook my steak for me so I had to do it myself. To prepare to cook these lamb steaks, I spent hours watching Kitchen Nightmares, Top Chef…basically anything with Gordon Ramsey. Then, I read three books about properly preparing a steak. Then I took cooking lessons.
Okay, fine. I actually just googled something along the lines of, “lamb steak cast iron skillet” clicked the first link and followed the directions.
Steaks Are Weird
Steaks weird me out because the “good” way to eat them…is basically raw on the inside. I’m not sure why that weirds me out because I’ll eat raw kibbe all day and not think twice about it. Whatever.
The steaks turned out great, they were rare, and I didn’t die. Although apparently I was too busy scarfing it down to take a picture of the finished product.
That’s okay because I have something better to talk about. Ground lamb. I’m much better at ground meats.
Incidentally, you know the coolest thing I learned lately? You can cook squash in a slow cooker! I learned that trick just in time for squash season, too. I had just picked up some super cheap squash at the farmers market, so before going to bed I popped a spaghetti squash in the slow cooker with a cup of water and let it cook on low while I was sleeping. I’m such a hard worker, I even cook in my sleep.
So I had this spaghetti squash. And this lamb. Put it together and you get….
Spaghetti Squash Lamb
I’m a fan of Mediterranean food so I made this more mediterranean flavored.
Now, I’m going to give you the recipe for this but it comes with a disclaimer: no one besides myself ate this…and I am not a chef at all…and I don’t know anything about flavor combinations aside from what I think tastes good together…so if you think it’s gross….not my problem. I liked it. Okay, here’s the recipe, if you want to give it a try!
- Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Cup Water (if using slow cooker)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Coriander
- 1 tbsp dried Parsley or some fresh parsley if you have it!
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sun Dried Tomatoes (optional)
- Put your spaghetti squash in the slow cooker with the water and cook it on low for eight hours. If you don’t have time for that, cut it in half, scrape out the seeds, place it on a baking sheet cut side up, and bake at 425 for 45 minutes.
- Once your spaghetti squash is cooked, discard the seeds and scoop out the insides and put them in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet and add in onions and garlic.
- Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add ground lamb.
- Once lamb is mostly cooked and no longer pink, about seven minutes, add cumin, coriander, allspice, parsley, and cook for another five minutes.
- Place spaghetti squash mixture on the plate and top with ground lamb.
Now I’m all out of lamb, I guess I’ll have to go back to my parent’s house and steal some more 🙂
Halloween’s coming up and you know what that means….CANDY! One of my favorite blogs, is doing a halloween recipe round-up and I want to contribute something.
So I need your help! What is your favorite halloween treat?
Let me know in the comments!